Skill set vs Certification

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 | Mandeep Singh

This was when I had passed out of college and was looking for a job. I was standing in the queue and was waiting for my turn to hand over resume to the HR. While I was standing in the queue I was seeing people chatting about their skill sets and certifications. Listening to that I was sure that they are experienced and I had started feeling inferior. It’s now few years from then and I had worked with different organizations, different kind of people, people with different domains experience and different skill sets and certifications. I sometime think now about what is the best way to judge the person’s caliber or his true strength? Is it skill sets or certifications? When we see a Job post in a news paper I see people step back thinking about the requirements that would be posted. Things would be like..we want people who are java, CCNA, CSTE ISTQB, .. xyz.. Certified. I wish I had an option to ask the companies that, do they really get what they expect when they hire a certified professional. Are they efficient enough to accomplish their expectation? I am sure they would not have an answer for this. Think about what is a certification. Candidates would go through test papers, mocks etc and would appear for the exams and would get though with certain percentage and the person would be awarded with a certificate stating that he is a xyz certified professional. My question is, does this truly reflect the caliber of a candidate.

Tags: | 4 comments

4 comments:

Parimala Hariprasad said...

Hi Mandeep,
Welcome to the Blogging World. Santhosh stole my word 'Blogosphere' :)

The font color is harmful to the eyes. I would ask you to consider changing the same ;)

Regards,
Parimala Shankaraiah

Sharath Byregowda said...

Congrats on hosting your blog Mandeep.

The common answer you might get when you ask these questions to those HR are - We do not expect the candidate to be very good but this certification proves that he knows "stuff" - What that stuff is I have no idea.
- Our customers want testers to be !@#$, $%^&, )(^&, certified so we hire them.
It's great to see Indian testers waking up to this certification monopoly. But sadly we are still less in number :(... but hoping for a change is good.

Cheers
Sharath

Santhosh Tuppad said...

@Mandeep,
Welcome to Blogosphere. Glad to see you blogging. Your first post rocked. But how about introducing yourself little bit more than just "Mandeep Singh" :)

I will be eagerly waiting for your next blog post.

Thanks,
Santhosh Shivanand Tuppad

Mandeep Singh said...

Thank you all for visiting my first blog post and posting your suggestions and Views.

Will post something more interesting soon. Keep watching :)


Cheers...!!